Eric Holder, Barack Obama’s nominee for Attorney General, is a totally unacceptable choice and needs to be strongly opposed by the Second Amendment community and all lovers of liberty.
Holder’s record is petty well known and I will provide a brief overview of some of the highlights below, but here I want to focus on the strategy.
Obama and many Democrats were elected in part by pledging allegiance to the Second Amendment, “with reasonable limits,” but there is clearly a broad divide between what they think are reasonable and what most of us think are reasonable. Meanwhile, the Brady Bunch is touting a poll they commissioned which they say proves that the public, including gunowners, favors more “reasonable restrictions” on firearms and that the “gun lobby” is effectively dead.
We – the “gun lobby” need to send a loud and clear message to President-elect Obama and the Congress that the news of our demise is greatly exaggerated.
Holder: "He was not taken at the point of a gun." (FOX News)
(Click below to read rest of article.)
We can wait and send that message by jumping to the defense against a gun control bill, but if we fail to win on a piece of legislation, we get the bad bill. We could wait and fight against bad judicial appointments, but judge appointments are notoriously hard to block and difficult to rally the troops to action.
If we don’t fight Holder’s confirmation, we get an anti-gun AG. If we do fight Holder’s confirmation and lose – but make a good showing – we get an anti-gun AG with a leash from the administration and a Congress leery of raising our ire. If we fight the Holder confirmation and win, we are once again recognized as a major player in politics and Congress will really be loath to challenge us.
Fighting the Holder confirmation makes sense and the fight should begin Right NOW!
We all need to send letters to our Senators demanding that they reject the Holder confirmation.
Additionally, I am drafting a letter to President-elect Obama and the Senate calling for Holder’s name to be withdrawn or rejected. When I have the letter completed I will be asking for as many clubs and organizations as possible to sign on as co-signers to that letter. If we can get a lot of co-signers and get NRA, GOA, CCRKBA, and SAF to actively oppose confirmation, I think we can send Eric Holder packing and effectively preempt any plans for anti-gun legislation in the near future.
If you are an officer with a gun club, association, or grassroots organization and your group would like to sign on as co-signers in opposition to Holder, please contact me at NoHolder -at- FirearmsCoalition.org or just send me a Private Message here.
Yours for the Second Amendment,
Director, The Firearms Coalition
Some Holder History
- As a Federal Prosecutor, Holder refused to prosecute FBI sniper Lon Horiuchi or any of his superiors for the murder of Vicky Weaver at Ruby Ridge.
- As Deputy Attorney General under Janet Reno, Holder was in charge of defending and covering up for the government in the Waco Massacre.
- Holder was the official in charge of the Elian Gonzales affair and ordered the pre-dawn SWAT raid to seize the 6-year old Cuban refugee from the home of relatives who had legal custody of the boy.
- After the terrorist attacks of 9-11, in which the terrorists used box-knives and airplanes as their weapons, Holder called for new restrictions on firearms sales and transfers.
- In the Heller case, Holder signed on to an amicus brief arguing in support of the DC gun ban and the “collective right” theory of the Second Amendment.
- Holder has called for federal investigation of every firearm transfer – even between relatives – and the registration and licensing of all firearm and firearm owners.
- Holder has called for federal restrictions and controls on the internet and limits on internet speech and privacy as well.
- Holder handled Clinton’s pardon of a group of Puerto Rican terrorists who murdered a number of people in New York City as well as the pardon of billionaire tax evader Marc Rich (the man who created the petroleum “spot market” – the system which recently drove gas prices over $5.00 a gallon.)
- Holder has been an outspoken advocate of stricter gun control, greater government control, and more police powers – though he opposes the death penalty, supports closing down the Guantanamo Bay detention facility, and opposes any kind of “harsh” interrogation techniques.